Wednesday, April 27, 2011

NIkon Lenses - Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S

I will admit, I am definitely a Nikon fanboy.  I love all things Nikon from the super telephotos down to the small primes.  Speaking of small, Nikon just announced the new Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Lens last night.  The D version of this lens is actually the first lens I ever owned.  I bought a used nikon d50 off of craigslist and part of the deal was the 50mm f/1.8.  I did not know much about it at the time but I learned to love it and make great pictures (well, ones that I enjoyed anyway). I learned about depth of field, minimum focal distance, aperture, etc..  I had never owned an slr camera before, let alone a digital slr. I have come a long way since, but I still have a TON to learn as I seem to be challenged everyday I am able to go shooting, whether it be still objects or moving.  I have since sold the lens along with that camera to another person that was just starting out and seeing the new incarnation of this lens, I might just get it for kicks as it is super small and lightweight. I can just throw it in a bag and not worry about it.
    I have had all sorts of f/1.4 lenses - 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G and I have learned that for at least what I like to do, the 50mm and less seems to be the best as the minimum focus distance (MFD) on the 85mm f/1.4G that I had just seemed to be too long for the way I wanted to use it.  Can Nikon make an 85mm f/1.4 with a super short MFD similar to the 24-70mm or the 24mm f/1.4G?  I am sure it can be done, but at what cost, I have no idea.  I know that because of that, the 50mm f/1.4G seems to be the lens I go to for shallow depth of field when I need to be a little bit closer and f/2.8 of the 24-70mm just won't cut it.  Can't wait to see how the new 50mm f/1.8G is when it comes out as I am anxious to give it a try again...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment